Re: [Groff] tbl: contolling table width

From: Anton Shepelev
Subject: Re: [Groff] tbl: contolling table width
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 18:29:12 +0400

Hello, Ted

> Well,  this  is  an  approximation  to  "something
> clever", but it is definitely "work in progress"!

See  how  your  example can be rewritten using tbl's

   The line below is the current line-length:
   \D'l \n[.l]u 0'
   |l2 | l2 | l2 | l |.
   Row 1, Col 1 A A A#Row 1, Col 2#\
   Row 1, Col 3#Row 1, Col 4
   Row 2, Col 1#Row 2, Col 2#Row 2, Col 3 AA#\
   Row 2, Col 4\h'2m'X
   Row 3, Col 1#Row 3, Col 2 A#Row 3, Col 3#Row 3, Col 4
   Row 4, Col 1#Row 4, Col 2#Row 4, Col 3#Row 4, Col 4 A A A\

I don't know how to  cope  with  the  additional  8n
decrement, but will look into it. One could probably
write a while-loop that would add all 3w*  registers
and their corresponding inter-column spaces!