Re: [Groff] Re: pagesize for terminal output

From: walter harms
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: pagesize for terminal output
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 11:16:24 +0100

Am 02.03.2011 10:53, schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
>> (NTL: it would be a nice extension for grotty to have a switch like
>> "papersize" )
> Uh, oh, a TTY has no length by its very definition.  A physical paper
> size is completely meaningless for terminals, and the logical paper
> size is given by gtroff anyways (with the `pl' request).

let me reformulate:
A switch that let grotty ignore a given page size inside a document.

And the rationale is exactly what you said: paper sizes and screen sizes
do not mix properly; so it may be useful to ignore a length and leave the
"page break" to a pager. (I guess grotty was intended to work with simple
printers and of cause pages have there use.)

I have no clue about the internals of grotty and it is totally possible that
is it to complicated to do.