grub-devel

Re: How to create boot CDROM with GRUB2

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: How to create boot CDROM with GRUB2
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:30:39 +0200

Dennis Clarke <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Dennis,

> My system is a PowerPC based unit with open firmware.  In fact it is a
> GENESI ODW unit thus : http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php
>
> There is no floppy device but I guess I could attach one somehow.
> What I need to do is install the GRUB2 bootloader on this unit but I
> would prefer to have it on a bootable CDROM  first.
>
> Is there any clear way to achieve this ?

GRUB 2 works on the Pegasos II, but I have never tested booting form
CDROM.  What I usually do is creating an open firmware binary and

If the CDROM can be accessed from open firmware and you are able to
open the binary it will work.  Perhaps there is a pegasos specific way
to automatically load this binary, but I don't know of a way to do
this.

To create this PPC specific binary you can read the wiki page:
http://www.autistici.org/grub/moin.cgi/TestingOnPowerPC

For the pegasos you need to add amiga.mod so GRUB can access your RDB
partitions.

--
Marco