grub-devel

IA64 port

From: Tristan Gingold
Subject: IA64 port
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:09:05 +0100

Hi,

here is the patch to add support for ia64.  This is mostly new files
(as well as new commands used to debug), and a few fixes in kern/efi/mm.c and
fs/fat.c.

Ia64 uses EFI so this port leverage on the already existing EFI support.

This port deviate from other grub ports in modules:  I currently use a trick
to provide basic module support: they are prelinked during installation.
This makes the initial port easier (and possible other ports too).

I'd really like to improve the situation in the next future, but the current
module framework doesn't work as-is for ia64.  Loading partially linked object
files (-r) is not easy on ia64 (large number of relocations, new segments
to be added: the GOT, the function descriptors).  I will try to use shared
libraries instead but there are changes to do in the generic code.

On the other hand, having pre-linked modules is a nice alternative on EFI
systems where the on-demand module load feature is not required and doesn't
fit well in net booting process.  So maybe I will first try to make to
improve this feature.

Comments are of course well-come.

Tristan.