grub-devel

Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:44:24 +0200

Oh well I should have used grep with -i
meta_bg and META_BG does make a difference

Anyway in release-notes I now found this:

Add support for the an alternative block group descriptor layout which
allows for on-line resizing without needing to prepare the filesystem
in advance.  (This is the incomat feature flag meta_bg.)

So it seems you'll have sooner or later to worry about that.
But I still think it's currently not that important to implement it, because it's currently not compatible with resize_inode

I should really take me more time for such things, but I think it's at least better then sending the same mail twice :)
(Robert Millan knows why I say this)

Anyway I thought that the release-notes are just for the current release not complete list for every like NEWS or even the changelog
This entry is from version 1.30 dated October 31, 2002
So I think resize_inode has completly replaced meta_bg
It's at least not mentioned anymore in the mke2fs(8) man page or even set by mke2fs.conf But probably the question remains, if grub should ignore it or reject it if it's set