grub-devel

Re: menu loop (patch)

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: menu loop (patch)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:52:51 +0200

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 07:21:34PM +0200, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this is intentional.  Size is not important in this
> > part of the code, but in other UI menus (e.g. Iceweasel or GNOME) I
>
> fast check in KDE: it's looping
>
> Also, Iceweasel menus are looping here (maybe because it's executed
> in KDE and there is some GTK Widget with a different behaviour? I have
> no idea)

I think it depends on the type of menu.  Iceweasel's stored password list
doesn't loop, but pull-down menus do.  I'm not sure if there's a rationale
for this..

> > notice this is not done.  It could also be a nuissance for users who
> > want to go rapidly to the top or bottom (sure, they can use PgUp/PgDn,
> > but then aren't we making the behaviour of those keys inconsistent
> > with arrows?).
>
> I would be glad to add some functionality for PgUp/PgDown and also for
> Home/End keys (I would do it today evening or tomorrow and send the
> patch).

Actually, I just noticed we don't handle any of these.  Don't worry about
that.

> > Also, if you (or anyone) can point to a "usability best practices"
> > reference saying this has been carefuly analized and one of the
> > options was found to be better, I think this would help us make a
> > decision.
>
> I will also check tonight.

Good!

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What good is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)