grub-devel

Re: menu loop (patch)

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: menu loop (patch)
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:34:46 -0700

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:40:43 +0200
Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:22:27PM +0200, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
>
> Carles!  Que n'és de petit el món ;-)
>
> > I'm a Grub user (thanks for your nice work!) and I always wanted to
> > have a menu that "loops". Like, if you press down and you are in
> > the last option it goes to the first one, and if you press up but
> > you are int he first option goes to the last.
> >
> > Attached comes a patch against revision 1718.
> >
> > Of course, feel free to comment anything about it. I'm open to
> > change, fix, etc.
> >
> > I also don't know if this functionality is not in Grub because you
> > thought that was better to not have this functionality.
> >
> > I've copied/change a few lines (after the patch, lines 425-428 are
> > the same than lines 347-350). I don't think that it's needed to
> > refactor but if you think so I can do it.
>
> I'm not sure if this is intentional.  Size is not important in this
> part of the code, but in other UI menus (e.g. Iceweasel or GNOME) I
> notice this is not done.  It could also be a nuissance for users who
> want to go rapidly to the top or bottom (sure, they can use
> PgUp/PgDn, but then aren't we making the behaviour of those keys
> inconsistent with arrows?).
>
> Also, if you (or anyone) can point to a "usability best practices"
> reference saying this has been carefuly analized and one of the
> options was found to be better, I think this would help us make a
> decision.
>
> What does everyone else think?

I think that wrapping around the menu with the arrow keys *can* be
useful in some situations, but in general it seems like we should try
to be consistent with the common UI behavior that is expected, at least
by default.  We could support a setting such as "set menuwrap=1" which
would enable this feature for users who care about it.  Then the users
who don't care won't miss it, but the users who do care can still have
it by adding a single line to grub.cfg.

> Colin, does this affect your graphical menu work in some way?  I
> suppose the same situation applies the same way to the upcoming new
> menu.  Or perhaps this can be made more flexible and be toggled by
> some CSS magic?

This would be no problem at all; it's essentially identical to how the
text mode menu from normal.mod works.  It could go either way, and
certainly would be easy to make it a setting in the theme file (or more
likely in a user-configurable place such as grub.cfg (?) -- since we
might not expect most users to modify theme files but only choose which
one to use).

Actually my graphical menu currently *does* wrap around, I guess it
seemed logical to me at the time I wrote the code!  8-)  As you can
tell, I am not firmly set on either wrapping or not wrapping.

Regards,
Colin