Re: xorriso and EFI boot images

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: xorriso and EFI boot images
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:22:45 +0200

Vladimir Serbinenko:
> I've tested xorriso version   :  0.5.5 Version timestamp :
> 2010.04.22.221241 and it worked fine.

So my Sector Count unit of 512 bytes is ok
until other info emerges. (The Fedora wiki
gave me doubts.)

I am busily refactoring the xorriso level of
boot options. This will finally impose another
round of regression tests.
I'll give you a note when i am done with mine.

> > Please take care in grub-mkrescue to express
> > your desired sorting by giving -b before
> > --efi-boot.
> It's already so.

So i can join the behavior of mkisofs and
genisoimage that the sequence of -b and
-eltorito-alt-boot defines the sequence of
boot image entries in the boot catalog.

--efi-boot FILE will be documented as being
virtually enclosed in -eltorito-alt-boot options.

  -b ... boot.options \
  --efi-boot FILE \

will be the same as

  -b ... boot.options \
  -eltorito-alt-boot \
  --efi-boot FILE \
  -eltorito-alt-boot \

No boot option like -boot-info-table will have a
chance to be attributed to --efi-boot.

> > "The section header has an identification string.
> It looks like ISOs I had under the hand with multiple boot images just
> zero-fill this field.

I have implemented setting of ID String and
Selection Criteria in libisofs and in the own
command interface of xorriso.
So if we ever need it ... :)

> > I will have to ponder about implementing
> > option -e .
> which probably just is "set platform-id to 0xef"

I wrote to the author of that wiki article.
No answer yet.
Googling brought no insight either.

Any Fedora users here ?
What does  mkisofs -help  say ?