Re: More Bug Stuff

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: More Bug Stuff
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:48:08 -0600

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> on the other hand, single file at top is simple and here.  so really, my
> proposal (now -- please ignore previous) comes down to:
>
>         N  -- the rfc822 for bug N
>         .N -- the directory w/ all of bug N's related files;
>               may be empty or absent
>
> in the headers, this would add required header:
>
>       bug-stuff-dir: .N
>
> under .N things can be named in regular ways, such as "test-case-1.scm"
> or "why-i-must-rant-against-this-bug" or "rfc822" (symlink).  the naming
> of these files can be conventionalized later and w/o overmuch regard to
> the actual bug number.  programs that munge these files are accordingly
> lightened.  programs that munge bug sets need to stay informed w/
> `bug-stuff-dir' but that's just another header (already done).

I really don't like the idea of hidden directories with potentially
critical information.  If we are going to have per-bug directories
could we choose an arrangement that sorts a bug and all its attendant
data together in an ls listing?  I don't have strong prefs, but as an
random place to start, why not:

  N-info
  N-dir/

ls does the right thing, and you can ignore all the -dir files if you
want to with a simple "grep -v", or even "ls *-[^d]*" or similar, and
you can make sure to copy all of a bug's related info via "cp -a N-*
dest".

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu