Re: What replaces scm_register_module_xxx (Doc update?)

From: rm
Subject: Re: What replaces scm_register_module_xxx (Doc update?)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:00:46 +0200

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 10:47:50AM +0200, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> [...]
>
> He proposed and implemented a C API for defining modules and exporting
> symbols, see
>
>     http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/guile-devel/2001-May/002171.html
>
> I use this API in the Guile back-end of SWIG (http://www.swig.org).
> The functions are also mentioned in the NEWS file of Guile (changes
> after release 1.4).  The API is also used in
> examples/box-module/box.c.

Ah, thank's a lot, the "missing files". I remembered the discussion
but forgot that Marius _did_ post a description of the new interface.
Marius, just one more question: it looks like the signature of
scm_c_define_module changed slightly since your mail back last may:

 scm_c_define_module (const char *name,
                      void (*init)(void *), void *data)

 - what is the purpose of 'void *data' ?

 - what is passed to the init function in the void pointer and
   what is the function supposed to return?

> I believe it's only an accident that the functions are not documented
> (except for the NEWS blurb).  I think documentation should be added;
> the changes should also go into the 1.6 release.  Preliminary
> documentation can be found in the above message by Marius.

Should this be documented soon?

  Ralf