Re: make-vtable

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: make-vtable
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:56:57 +0000

> Right, but a "metaclass" is the class of class, i.e., a class (IOW, a
> metaclass is an instance of <class> or a sub-class thereof).  So that's
> really two levels.

That's true, but then it's also true that a class is an instance - so
you could say that's just one level.

In other words, this isn't clear cut.  We're into matters of opinion
here, on what kind of terminology and description is most useful to
someone learning.

>> Also, in practice, I've done a fair amount of programming using GOOPS,
>> and have found metaclass-level customization extremely useful.
>
> I didn't mean to say it's not useful, just that it's maybe not something
> one wants to know when reading about structs for the first time.

That's a fair point, but IMO Kevin's doc layout allows for it by
putting the vtable-vtable stuff last.