Re: RFD: please drop ChangeLog updates

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: RFD: please drop ChangeLog updates
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 23:11:41 +0200

2008/8/30 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès escreveu:
>
>>> Then I guess I'm happy to abolish ChangeLogs.  Two questions remain:
>>>
>>>   1. Should we remove ChangeLog files from the repo?
>>>   2. Should we generate ChangeLogs for releases?
>>>
>>> I'd say "yes" to (1) and "no" to (2).  That would be a departure from
>>> the GNU Standards, but perhaps it's a sign of their age.
>>
>> I'd say no (1).  The information in ChangeLog and commit message can diverge,
>> so deleting them may remove information.  I recommend keeping them around,
>> Perhaps in
>> a directory in with historic files, or marking them as
>>
>>   THESE CHANGELOGS ARE NO LONGER UPDATED
>>
>> in screaming letters at the top.
>
> Oh right, I concur.

I agree on (1).  We already have some historical ChangeLog files, like
"ChangeLog-scm" and "ChangeLog-1996-1999", and I suggest renaming the
current set of "ChangeLog"s to "ChangeLog-pre-git" (or similar), and
adding a note to HACKING about what that means.

I'm less sure about (2), but I think I'd be happy with not generating
release ChangeLogs, so long as we document (probably in HACKING again)
how a ChangeLog since the previous release could be generated.

Actually, perhaps it would be nicer to put both those notes in a top
level file called "ChangeLog", rather than in HACKING.  Then anyone
who looks for a ChangeLog will see the information they need, and also
"ChangeLog" probably propagates into distribution packages more
readily than HACKING would.  (At least, it does for Debian.)

Finally, I'm assuming that there would be no change to the quality or
style of the information that we used to put in ChangeLogs; the only
difference is that the same information will now be in the commit
message.  Is that what everyone else is assuming too?