Re: RFD: please drop ChangeLog updates

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: RFD: please drop ChangeLog updates
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:30:12 +0200

Hello,

"Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually, perhaps it would be nicer to put both those notes in a top
> level file called "ChangeLog", rather than in HACKING.

Yes, that's the most obvious place to put information about ChangeLogs.
Other ChangeLogs can be renamed as you suggested.

> Finally, I'm assuming that there would be no change to the quality or
> style of the information that we used to put in ChangeLogs; the only
> difference is that the same information will now be in the commit
> message.  Is that what everyone else is assuming too?

Yes, that's my assumption, too, which is why I was looking for an Emacs
mode to simplify the task.

As far as releases are concerned, we can surely use one of these scripts
to generate a top-level ChangeLog.  It doesn't seem too complicated and
may be handy for users who don't want to browse the Git repository.

Thanks,
Ludo'.