Re: guile build failure - help !

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: guile build failure - help !
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:27:11 +0000

2008/11/24 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>:
> Hello!
>
> "Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> When Guile is built on a machine with libtool 2.2, the problem is an
>> extra line in the libtool 2.2 version of ltdl.h:
>>
>> #define lt_preloaded_symbols    lt__PROGRAM__LTX_preloaded_symbols
>>
>> This causes the code in guile.c to reference
>> lt__PROGRAM__LTX_preloaded_symbols, and the aclocal.m4-generated code
>> doesn't define that, so we have an undefined reference.
>
> Thanks for finding this out!
>
> At any rate, I think we should switch to Libtool 2.2 now, even for
> 1.8.6, as I don't expect it to introduce any regressions and it would be
> mostly invisible to end-user since ltdl itself is compatible.

It will be great if it is compatible to build with 2.2, but I don't
see how that can be possible, given my analysis.

Surely - if we build the distro with 2.2, and then a user tries to
build with 1.5.26 - we will then get a definition of
lt__PROGRAM__LTX_preloaded_symbols in the autogenerated code
(guileS.o), and a reference from guile.c to lt_preloaded_symbols.  And
hence still an unresolved external?

> I saw Mike Gran's patch on `guile-user', and it seems to be the Right
> Thing.  I'll try all that out and report back.

OK, great.