Re: Ideas for a Guile tutorial to go with the new site

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Ideas for a Guile tutorial to go with the new site
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 11:29:21 -0500

Amirouche Boubekki writes:

> To the contrary I think it's not a good idea to start upfront the
> tutorial with which editor should be used is a good way to loose half of
> the readers, because they will feel more uncomfortable and not up to the
> task. To be useful emacs requires one 'Getting Started' tutorial in
> itself. Or anykind of setup for that matter. The tutorial should go as
> quickly as possible to the matter and start with coding.
>
> I started a tutorial at http://hypermove.net/. I don't introduce
> readline until the user knows what the REPL is. Part 1 is all done in
> REPL. I subtly introduce emacs as a good choice for an editor in part 2
> which is done in an editor. But doesn't enforce it.

Okay, sorry if I wasn't being clear... my goal in that section would be
to encourage everyone who *isn't already an emacs user* to pick up a
simple editor and know how to use that with Guile, but them give them a
brief tip that they want to look into Emacs + Geiser once they've dived
in a bit more deeply.

I don't think this section needs to be too long.  I agree it should not
be overwhelming.

>> The "Getting up and running" section looks like a good part to start
>> materializing the tutorial.
>
> I sent a previous mail to the ML describing my work. Again feel free to
> comment.

We discussed this on IRC, but I think your tutorial and the one I
proposed above target different audiences, which is great!  Having
multiple tutorials is very helpful.