Re: The Guile community we could have (or: solving Worse is More Accessi

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: The Guile community we could have (or: solving Worse is More Accessible)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:46:01 +0200

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> To put it another way, many here have probably read the "Worse is
> Better" essays.  That paradox of "better" I think sticks in the craw of
> many lispers; something both seems wrong and yet frustratingly right
> about it.  Maybe another way to look at it: "Worse is more accessible",
> or "worse has the path of least resistance", or also importantly, "worse
> is where I felt welcomed."  Given that, no wonder many people feel safe
> and better rather than what lispers believe is "the right thing".
>
> But maybe we could have both.  I believe it requires effort, and perhaps
> a rebranding of imagery.  The wizard towers are still there if you want
> them... I doubt any lisper or schemer will give up on Guile or Scheme
> because of some fun and inviting drawings.  The fun drawings don't take
> anything away!  But they add something: they make Guile feel like
> somplace, even as a newcomer, you might belong.

I’ve had your message and thoughts in the back of my mind for some time
and yes, your characterization of wizardry and the message it conveys to
newcomers, suggesting both a place where “magical” things happen and an
intimidating community, makes a lot of sense to me.

The new web site seems like a way to improve that image, indeed!

Ludo’.