Re: Cooperating on .defs API specifications

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: Cooperating on .defs API specifications
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:58:34 +0200

Murray Cumming <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 21:52, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>> Owen Taylor <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > I think we'd actually open to include .defs with the modules themselves;
>> > the downside being, of course, that you don't get updated defs until
>> > the module releases a new version.
>> >
>> > The other downside is that it is easy for the GTK+ version to get
>> > out of date if people aren't careful about putting back their changes
>> > to the canonical version ...
>> >
>> I think would be not a good idea, for the reasons you already
>> mentioned. The thing is: the GTK+ people, (or other module authors),
>> don't actually use the .defs, only the wrapper people do. IMHO, it
>> makes much more sense to have them in their own package, maintained by
>> the people who need them.
>
> Having GTK+ defs in GTK+ will work if that part of GTK+ has a
> maintainer, so that changes can be made instantly. It might not be
> possible for all other modules, but it doesn't need to be.

I'll go ahead and create the "defs" Arch package anyway, when the time
for the guile-gobject split comes, anyway. I think there should be a
phasis of review by all people involved, resulting in fixes and
enhancments, befor this goes "upstream".

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

Say NO to Software Patents! -- http://petition.eurolinux.org/