Re: Managing Guile and extensions versions

From: Vorfeed Canal
Subject: Re: Managing Guile and extensions versions
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 18:18:07 +0400

On 10/5/05, Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> wrote:
> Vorfeed Canal <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH is linux'ism,
>
> Actually I believe it comes from svr4 (maybe earlier too, not sure).
>
> (Incidentally, nobody can tell if you're asking a question, advocating
> your particular change, expressing new-user frustration, or just
> generally banging on.  If you post something straightforward you might
> get an answer.)

I had two major griefs (poor exceptions handling and poor handling of
C-based extensions) and one is adressed already: SRFI-34. Not exactly
the solution I've envisioned but acceptable alternative. Ok. But what
to do with C-based modules ?

You want straightforward question ? Can do. HOW TO do the
my-extension-0.0.tar.gz to make the following possible:

$ (
>  tar xzSvpf guile-1.7.2.tar.gz
>  cd guile-1.7.2
> ./configure --prefix=/myexperiments/guile
> make
> make install )
$ (
> tar xzSvpf my-extension-0.0.tar.gz
> cd my-extension-0.0
> GUILE=/myexperiments/guile/bin/guile \
> GUILE_CONFIG=/myexperiments/guile/bin/guile-config \
> GUILE_TOOLS=/myexperiments/guile/bin/guile-tools \
> ./configure
> make
> make install )
$ /myexperiments/guile/bin/guile -c '(use myextension modulename) ...'

Basically: I want to treat GUILE *and* GUILE extensions like normal
GNU packages. The one which respects --prefix parameters and/or
configuration variables like GUILE_CONFIG.

I *do* know how to do this with pure-scheme modules. I do *not* know
sane way to do this with C-based modules (yes, I can play with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, wrappers and so on - IMO this is just insane: why the
hell we even have guile-config program if it can not be used to do
such a simple things).

I proposed some changes to make it possible. I do not really care if
my changes or some others will be accepted - I only want HOW TO for
my-extension-0.0.tar.gz, that's all.