Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:51:33 -0800 (PST)

start by offering a release of a hack I made.  But this isn't my
official hack: it is just a building block.

Zile-on-Guile is a version of GNU Zile that uses GNU Guile as an
extension language.  The original GNU Zile was a small editor in the
style of GNU Emacs and it has its own tiny embedded Lisp interpreter.
I've replaced that interpreter with Guile.

You can find the download at

This is a 0.0 release, so if it even builds on anyone else's machine,
I'd be totally surprised.

You can find the Git repository at

The Guile extension can be accessed this way.

-- Pressing Alt+C brings up a REPL.  You can do all your standard REPL

-- In the REPL, one can create and bind new commands.  Define a
   procedure of zero arguments, export it, and then bind it to a key
   using 'set-key'.

   For example:

     (define (blammo)
       (insert "blammo"))
     (export blammo)
     (set-key "\\F9" 'blammo)

   This creates a function that inserts the world "blammo" at the mark
   whenever <F9> is pressed.

-- And, if really you wanted to, you could edit your current buffer in
   the REPL

   For example:

      (insert "here is some text")

   But that would just be silly.