Re: on coding a portable R6RS package supporting Guile and its FFI

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: on coding a portable R6RS package supporting Guile and its FFI
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:25:09 -0500

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue 05 Feb 2013 20:29, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

Smob mark procedures are still supported.  Changing the GC would be
quite difficult -- we would need to progress to the point that we had
significantly less C.  That would be years away if it comes.  Anyway, we
could have a compacting collector and still allow fixed-position
objects:

I see. I hadn't thought about what a big project it would be. I was imagining bytevector->pointer as a procedure that just set some "fixed-position bit" on its object, so there wasn't any allocation. However, that would fit weirdly with the "->" convention. It's probably not worth worrying about.

Noah