guix-devel

Re: emacs packages

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: emacs packages
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 14:13:51 +0200

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

>>> To make those packages automatically available in Emacs without the
>>> need for any code in the user '.emacs' file, I would suggest to
>>> include in our Emacs package site initialization file some custom code
>>> (to activate our ELPA emacs packages) such as the one in the attached
>>> 'guix-elpa.el' file.
>>
>> guix.el already takes care of that (info "(guix) Emacs Initial Setup"),
>> so that should be enough.
>
> Unfortunately this doesn't work without modification. The reason is
> that I follow the emacs package.el strategy to install each ELPA
> package in it's own sub-directory. Specifically, I'm installing each
> package into ".../site-lisp/guix.d/PACKAGE-NAME-VERSION/".  The code
> in 'guix.el', however, doesn't look in sub-directories below the
> profile's '.../site-lisp'.

What does it bring us to follow package.el’s strategy?

My impression is that we could simply follow what guix.el already does,
and thus avoid that guix.d/PACKAGE-VERSION sub-directory.  Of course we
can adjust guix.el as we see fit, but package.el is a completely
separate beast anyway.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Ludo’.