guix-devel

Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 12:46:10 +0200

> All: Please share your experiences, positive and negative, with project
> management frameworks. Ideally it covers patches, discussions,
> bugtracking and is accessible and usable at least via web browser.

I think a few people have said they like github, but it gets objected to
because of certain reasons and I do not want to start a discussion on
those.

I did find a project called gogs (go git service) which has an ui just like
github's. Maybe this would be a solution worth exploring.

As for the "I like to use email thing": I like to reply via email to PR's and
issues too, the only downside I can think of for people liking the email
workflow would be creating a PR involves pressing the "Create PR"
button in the web gui. (If I haven't thought of other downsides please
let me know ;)
Fetching peoples patchsets through git is simple, and there is
the possiblility of adding forks of people that contribute regularly as
git remotes (to make fetching and review even simpler).

The only thing I don't like about github/gogs from an UI perspective is the
merge button. The merge button creates unnecessary merge commits
which I don't like, and many projects agree to not use the merge button.
There is no way to disable it, but I think that disabling it in gogs would be
trivial.

[0] https://gogs.io