guix-devel

Re: Phase `validate-runpath' fails: lib not in RUNPATH

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Phase `validate-runpath' fails: lib not in RUNPATH
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 21:34:39 +0100

On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 20:52:20 +0100
Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for this tip. I'm cuprous, though . Both "libplds4.so" and
> "libnspr4.so" are part of "nspr" which is specified as input.

Yes, but will the linker embed the full path to libnspr4.so into the executable
(or in your case shared library) it builds for thunderbird? If not, ld.so would
pick up a random package at runtime (one it just happens to find in the library
search path) - something we don't want.

What the ld option "rpath" does is embed the full path to libnspr4.so into the
executable (or in this case shared object) it builds. In this way it will pick
exactly this libnspr4.so library or fail at startup.