guix-devel

Re: Phase `validate-runpath' fails: lib not in RUNPATH

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Phase `validate-runpath' fails: lib not in RUNPATH
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 10:03:57 +0100

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:

> Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 20:52:20 +0100
>> Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Thanks for this tip. I'm cuprous, though . Both "libplds4.so" and
>>> "libnspr4.so" are part of "nspr" which is specified as input.
>>
>> Yes, but will the linker embed the full path to libnspr4.so into the
>> executable (or in your case shared library) it builds for thunderbird?
>> If not, ld.so would pick up a random package at runtime (one it just
>> happens to find in the library search path) - something we don't want.
>>
>> What the ld option "rpath" does is embed the full path to libnspr4.so
>> into the executable (or in this case shared object) it builds. In this
>> way it will pick exactly this libnspr4.so library or fail at startup.
>
> I thought the default gnu build system arranges for the rpath to be set
> correctly in the executables?

Specifically, the ‘ld’ wrapper (in gnu/packages/ld-wrapper.in) arranges
to add a -Wl,-rpath flag for each -l flag that it sees.

However, the ‘ld’ wrapper does not add such a flag if there’s no
corresponding -l flag, or if Thunderbird somehow managed to bypass the
wrapper altogether.

I’d suggest checking the link command line for the offending .so in
Thunderbird to see exactly what’s going on.  It might just be that it
misses -lnspr4 or something like that.

HTH,
Ludo’.