guix-devel

Re: How to use custom grub?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: How to use custom grub?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 16:05:44 +0100

Hi Marius,

On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 11:36:51 +0000
Marius Bakke <address@hidden> wrote:

> That's it! This makes it pick up (bootloader (grub-configuration (grub
> grub-efi))) from my config.scm:
>
> making '/gnu/store/kgk9rrawq9fxh1g2j6121gl3lcz47395-system' the current
> system...
> Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
> Installation finished. No error reported.
>
> Even though I'm now working on multi-platform grub, I think we should
> have this anyway so that the "grub" argument works as expected. WDYT?

Yes, I agree that grub should not be magically picked up but rather be read
from the configuration - as you do here. This makes alternative bootloaders
possible and is also less surprising in any case.

Also in guix/scripts/system.scm in perform-action there's a (setenv "PATH" ...)
form. I think that one should be replaced, too - for much the same reasons. It
would be better to just pass grub to install-grub* (which would need its
parameter list adapted) instead of mucking with PATH :P

In this way the package variable would flow from the os configuration all the
way to the actual "grub-install" invocation call without magical environment
variables, packages that just happen to be pulled in from some imported module
etc.

If you want, you can also fix this one up, too. (If not, I'll wait until your
stuff is merged and fix it myself - no worries)

A first test whether it was enough is to remove the #:use-module (gnu packages
grub) from guix/scripts/system.scm and see whether it still works (it should).
For clarity I would make the final patch remove it, too.