guix-devel

Re: Memory Usage

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Memory Usage
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 00:08:01 -0800

Hi Rodger!

Rodger Fox <address@hidden> writes:

> What is the typical memory usage of a GuixSD system?
> I can't seem to get mine below 5GiB, according to top.

Ugh. This with a full blown Gnome desktop?

> This is when I stop Xorg and most system services, including
> networking and such, and just log in to a plain terminal with nothing
> but top running. Is this normal?

It doesn't sound normal to me. I'd expect Gnome to boot with about 1 GiB
RAM usage.

> The numbers listed per process in top don't even add up to that, but
> it reports the total being high. Also, icecat uses a 1000m and
> gnome-terminal uses 500m.

Depends how many tabs you have opened but yes, IceCat/Firefox/Any
browser are very memory hungry.

> This seems wrong to me, but I'm not sure. In my session right now it
> is reporting over 14GiB of memory use. I don't know why it should be
> so high.

Using the minimal desktop environment (ratpoison) with GuixSD I'm
booting with RAM usage of about 100 MiB.

Maxim