guix-devel

Re: Meltdown / Spectre

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: Meltdown / Spectre
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 19:49:26 -0200

With regards to BSD-3-Clause-Clear and BSD-2-Clause-FreeBSD vs. GPL (and
variants), the latest version and "or-later" option of the latter allows
a chance to transfer the freedoms of the software to the end-users' copy
(it's not a perfect ingredient, because it depends on the rights holder
to enforce it but it's the necessary condition) while the former (the
BSD-likes) are too lax (the moment the rights holder decides to do
something, the person already lost the legal mechanisms that would allow
per to influence the derivative project's decision to guarantee that
end-users have their software freedom kept with the copy of the software
they have). Of course, this influence is best exercised with
collaboration for license compliance, and commitment from the
non-compliant to fix the issues. Besides, without the right amount of
regulation market moves faster than sustainability, and the permissive
nature of the first two licenses mentioned make a perfect tool for
opportunistic competitive behavior, in a century and with goods
where/which we can't spend time with Porterism nor with Social
Darwinisms.

As for the attempt to apply the same comparison to the possibility of a
microcode update: I guess it can be considered a matter of where one
wants to go. I see various projects which have some product which is
free/libre software, but have alternative products (from the same
origin) which do the same thing but which aren't free/libre, so for
those origins/projects I consider them a kind of "desperate attempt to
'reach out' to other people", even if it means not following the
free/libre software philosophy. Finally, I tend to not follow these
projects, nor recommend their free/libre products, because I find these
misleading.

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com