guix-devel

Re: my latest blog post

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: my latest blog post
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 23:24:45 -0500

I think Catonano and Mark discussed things nicely earlier in the thread,
so I'm not going to weigh in on that (though I do agree that we would
can and should do better, but that also it's important to realize that
community members only have so many personal resources to be able to
respond sometimes).

Guile still matters a lot to me.  I think Guile has a long way to go,
but I look at it more that there is an opportunity for us to do better
than that we have failed currently.  What can we do to move in the right
direction?

Joshua Branson writes:

> I personally dislike that saying "guys" on IRC is frowned upon.  In my
> personal life I use "guys" when I'm talking to a group of people, even
> if some are women.  Are there women in the guix community that are
> offended by the use of "guys"?

There may be, and even if there weren't, I certainly know many women (or
generally non-male, and heck, even many male) developers who are
bothered by that language.  The question isn't just whether or not we're
upsetting someone currently (though that's important), it's also whether
we're losing the opportunity to grow our community to include such
people going forward.