guix-devel

Re: Communication and Design at Guix

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Communication and Design at Guix
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 00:25:20 +0100

> Hi!
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:
>> It’s fine to deviate from the consistent style.  We do that already for
>> the style sheet that’s used for our HTML documentation.  Compare this:
>>
>>     https://www.gnu.org/software/sharutils/manual/html_node/index.html
>>
>> with this:
>>
>>     https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/index.html
>>
>> It’s fine to change our style sheet, but let’s stay with Texinfo.
>
> Note that our manual uses https://gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual.css,
> which is the standard CSS produced by Gnulib’s gendocs.sh, and this CSS
> is used by many (most?) manuals at gnu.org, not just Guix.
>
> My suggestion was to improve this CSS, if L p R n d n is willing to make
> the extra social effort to get changes accepted.  If that doesn’t work,
> we can depart from that.

Thanks for the clarification :)

I looked into the chicken docs and their html and css. They generate
their examples from source-code with this MIT chicken egg-script:
http://code.call-cc.org/svn/chicken-eggs/release/4/colorize/trunk/colorize.scm.

To use their approach with parens highlighting we would need to either
depend on chicken and this egg or port it to guile.

I ran it just for fun and got an error as expected. :p

It generates nice html like this:
the regular expression library, is one of the

The CSS magic is this (public domain):
#content .highlight .paren1,#content .highlight .paren2,#content .highlight
.paren3,#content .highlight .paren4,#content .highlight .paren5,#content
.highlight .paren6 {
    background-color:inherit;
}

#content .highlight .paren1:hover,#content .highlight .paren2:hover,#content
.highlight .paren3:hover,#content .highlight .paren4:hover,#content .highlight
.paren5:hover,#content .highlight .paren6:hover {
    color:#FFF;
    font-weight:700;
}

#content .highlight .paren1:hover {