gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Fenfire @ Assembly'03 ?

From: deetsay
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Fenfire @ Assembly'03 ?
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:00:17 +0300 (EEST)

Asko wrote:

> Is anyone else of us besides me coming to Assembly
> <http://www.assembly.org/> this year (next weekend)?

For the first time in 10 years, I'm not! :-)

> There is a couple of seemingly interesting ARTech -seminars
> <http://www.assembly.org/content/seminars/>:  OpenGL Shader Tricks by
> Juan Guardado Nvidia and Graphics Performance Optimization by John
> Spitzer Nvidia (maybe also Parametric Texture Generation by Andreas
> Schilling). I'll have only an ordinary ticket, but I'll try to fit in
> and checkout them (but I don't promise to understand them :-).

Last year there was no problem at all fitting in, except for the "history
of computer music" seminars by Rob Hubbard...

> I wonder, if Tuomas fancy trying to keep a Fenfire -seminar there?-)

That's a good idea, though anyone else but Rob Hubbard might have some
trouble drawing in a huge crowd of listeners.  I'd guess that the people
who attended the seminars most actively were game development
professionals or the like.  But who knows, I'm sure there are a lot of
free software-minded Assembly-goers out there, you just have to find a way
to tell them there's a seminar there for them too.

You could try to get a spot on AsmTV as well, for example presenting the
Lego controllers.. :-) They'd love it.

> There still seems to be free on the full program
> <http://www.assembly.org/content/seminars/program.html>.

That's strange, considering the VIP-tickets and hotel rooms you'd think
people would be lining up with all kinds of topics for seminars :-)...

> The rules of Wild compo have been altered in favor of computer/machine
> based entries. We could have an entry next year, if we'll just remember
> that in time.

What kind of computer-based wild demo did you have in mind?  I can't even
figure out a computer platform that would fit, since the wild compo is
"mainly for entries not acceptable to other compos". PC/Mac/Amiga/Consoles
are in the combined compos, computer-generated animations are in the
animation compo, "all platforms publicly available before 1992" are in the
oldschool compo, handhelds are in the mobile compo, hmmm... :-)  I'm
starting to think it's going to be another "home videos with bad computer
effects" show this year. :-)

--
tero