h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] R: h-node and UEFI Secure Boot, how should we mov

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] R: h-node and UEFI Secure Boot, how should we move?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:57:34 +0200

>>does it have free boot firmware?              yes
>>                                                                      no
>>
>> not-specified
>
> with a link to explanations on help/wiki about what we mean by boot
> firmware (BIOS, Coreboot, UEFI, etc) and what is considered as free
> boot firmware (coreboot only?).

Is Coreboot with nonfree CPU microcode or VGA BIOS a free boot firmware?

(Lemote YeeLoong supports both PMON and Grub 2 as boot firmware, they
are free.  FuLoong supports PMON with a nonfree VGA BIOS and Grub 2 with
a free replacement.)

>>can free operating systems be installed?      yes
>>
>> no
>>
>> not-specified
>
> If user selects "no" it means that either there is restricted boot
> implemented on the device or that installation is not physically
> possible (can there be such a case?).

All general-purpose computers either have a separately-provided
operating system or have updates offered by its vendor.  So we don't
need to think of this case now.  We should recommend writing in the
description an explanation unless a free operating system can be easily
installed, e.g. that it needs choosing a BIOS option to disable Secure
Boot or removing a resistor to boot another operating system.

>>does it have restricted boot?                         yes, can be disabled
>>
>> yes, cannot be disabled
>>
>> no
>>
>> not-specified
>
> with a link to explanations on help/wiki about what restricted boot
> is, how UEFI can implement restricted boot but doesn't always do so
> and how to check if there is restricted boot and if it can be
> disabled.

Doesn't that name refer only to the same when it cannot be disabled?  I
believe the other questions give enough information.