h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] R: h-node and UEFI Secure Boot, how should we mov

From: Antonio Gallo
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] R: h-node and UEFI Secure Boot, how should we move?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:36:30 +0100 (BST)

> >>does it have free boot
> firmware?        yes
> >>

>             no
> >>

>             not-specified
> >
> > with a link to explanations on help/wiki about what we
> mean by boot
> > firmware (BIOS, Coreboot, UEFI, etc) and what is
> considered as free
> > boot firmware (coreboot only?).

I've already modified the entry in this way:

does it have free boot firmware (BIOS,UEFI,...) ?

not specified
no
yes
can be installed

If someone add the "boot firmware section" inside this wiki page:
http://www.h-node.org/wiki/page/en/discover-your-hardware
then I can add a link to that page

> Is Coreboot with nonfree CPU microcode or VGA BIOS a free
> boot firmware?

it's a good question.. is there a list of free boot firmware?

> >>can free operating systems be
> installed?    yes
> >>

>     no
> >>

>     not-specified
> >
> > If user selects "no" it means that either there is
> restricted boot
> > implemented on the device or that installation is not
> physically
> > possible (can there be such a case?).
>
> All general-purpose computers either have a
> separately-provided
> operating system or have updates offered by its
> vendor.  So we don't
> need to think of this case now.  We should recommend
> writing in the
> description an explanation unless a free operating system
> can be easily
> installed, e.g. that it needs choosing a BIOS option to
> disable Secure
> Boot or removing a resistor to boot another operating
> system.

I think we could change it in this way:

can free operating systems be installed?

yes
no (please specify in the description entry)
not-specified

or better:

yes
no, restricted boot issue
no, other reason (specify inside the description entry)
not-specified

> >>does it have restricted boot?
>
>     yes, can be disabled
> >>

>     yes, cannot be disabled
> >>

>                 no
> >>

>     not-specified
> >
> > with a link to explanations on help/wiki about what
> restricted boot
> > is, how UEFI can implement restricted boot but doesn't
> always do so
> > and how to check if there is restricted boot and if it
> can be
> > disabled.
>
> Doesn't that name refer only to the same when it cannot be
> disabled?  I
> believe the other questions give enough information.

Indeed I think we shouldn't add too many entries related to the same problem.
Perhaps the new version of the entry "can free operating systems be installed?"
can also include the Restricted Boot issue