Re: [Heartlogic-dev] the plan

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: Re: [Heartlogic-dev] the plan
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:11:32 +0530

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 02:14 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:

> > Without going too deep, the hypothesis is that a pair of goal statuses
> > (same topic, same mindreader, different appraisers) characterize the
> > situation in an affectively meaningful way.  We can take this hypothesis
> > in lots different directions.
>
> I confused.  I thought the goal statuses were Goal, AntiGoal and NoGoal.

Oh, yes, correct.

In simpler terms, what I mean is to ask about the goal status of Toby
and Toby's dad.  So there are two goal statuses (a pair).  The
hypothesis is that a pair of goal statuses is an affectively meaningful
way to characterize a situation.

I am not in a hurry to turn this goal-status thing into an empirical
study.  However, it seems like a useful thing to start exploring and we
can do it in a Hot-or-Not style format without any registration
requirement.

> > Are you hinting at a tree or flow-chart style extension of WLJ 2003?  If
> > so, sounds good.
>
> I'm not sure.  Reimplimenting WLJ 2003 would not involve a flowchart.
> Doing your study might.
>
> Here's what I'm thinking.  JoeUser logins in.  A computer (or a
> ROBOT!!!!) flips a coin.  If it's heads, JoeUser gets stuck with WLJ
> 2003.  JoeUser will be required to complete about 10 items for his data
> to be used.  If it's tails, JoeUser gets to do your study.  Hopefully,
> the amount of effort required by JoeUser would be roughly the same
> regardless of whether he gets to do yours versus gets stuck with mine.

Hrm.

Don't we need a valid email address to allow participation in a study?
The requirement for an email address (and informed consent) has been my
assumption.  Is it wrong?

> > Can you propose a specific list of things you want ready before we go
> > live?  It seems like your list is longer than mine.

> Compare currently collected data to WLJ 2003.  If data appears sane
> then continuing marching forward with replication of WLJ 2003.  Maybe talk
> through the project with UT statistical services to make sure everything
> is sane.  Make sure I can run the data and test the hypotheses on a
> moments notice using SAS.  Make sure I know precisely what constitutes
> replication.  Give Joshua study 3 items from 2 or 3 more groups.  Make
> sure website can randomly decide which group each new subject goes into
> yet keep the groups balanced.  Review ethical issues associated
> with doing WWW study and implement/modify informed consent/etc as
> necessary.  Publicisize the website a little to see what kinds of
> response we get for what kind of publicity.   If response is
> suprisingly  big, then we will want to be careful to not blow all our
> e.g. 1000's of subjects unnecessarily.  Instead, have other studies lined
> up.  If response is tepid, then this is less of a worry.  Once completed,
> distill all remaining study 3 items for the of the 12 groups and send off
> to Joshua to be put up on website.  Publicize as necessary to get
> sufficient subjects.

OK, good.

> As for your deal...
>
> Get clear on the terms/constructs, research questions and hypotheses.
> Develop the experimental method.  Probably write it up to prove we know
> what we are doing.  Plan the statistical analysis -- e.g. seek input from
> UT Statistical Services as necessary.  Pilot he items on 1 - 20 friends
> and tweak based on their feedback.  Run study.  Analyze results.  Write
> up.  Publish.

OK, and I want to do something like WLJ 2003 modified into a tree /
flowchart.

> Once both of the above are done... Become famous and watch the $$$ roll
> in as we sip margaritas in Goa or somewhere!!!!! (-;

Yah.  :-)

To review, our front page is:

1. Hot-or-not style single-click goal status

After registration & informed consent then we offer a choice of:

2. WLJ 2003 replication
3. WLJ 2003 modified into a flow-chart format
4. Adding cues and exploring the statistical results of #1