Re: Eliminating conflicts of parenthesized subexpressions

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Eliminating conflicts of parenthesized subexpressions
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:30:59 +0200

At 20:57 +0200 2004/09/14, Akim Demaille wrote:
>>> One pass is faster than two.  Multiplying passes over the text/AST is
>>> more modular, but more CPU, and less performance.  That's why most
>>> industrial strength compilers are not very modular.
>>
>> I am sure Vincent had a multipass in his mind. I did not, in any case.
>
>I don't undestand where you meant to drive the conversation then.

The original question was whether to capture the language by either write a
single expression hierarchy, and sort out whether operators are properly
combined by looking at their typing, or write a grammar that makes that
unnecessary. The latter seemed difficult at first, but then I found that my
own method worked.

>>> The dragon books also has nice pieces of information.  If you have
>>> spare
>>> time to read longish books, you will be rewarded.  But if you don't,
>>> let's take a more efficient book.
>>
>> You clearly have a textbook in your mind, perhaps for a course or
>> something. I have found it suitable as a reference on a few topics, on
>> the
>> basic level. If you have some suggestion in your mind, you may drop it
>> off
>> here, and/or to John Levine, the comp.compilers moderator, so he can
>> put
>> into the comp.compilers FAQ.
>>
>I know that ng, I know that person, thanks Hans, ...

In a public discussion, you are not the only reader.

>...but I guess people
>already
>know there.
>
>My number one recommendation is "Modern Compiler Implementation" by
>Andrew
>Appel.  Then, there are many other more in depth books.

There is a review of that one, there. But if you have know of a book that
is not reviewed there, or which you think is not already properly reviewed,
you can send in a suggestion.

  Hans Aberg