Re: Exceeded limits of %dprec/%merge?

From: Derek M Jones
Subject: Re: Exceeded limits of %dprec/%merge?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 20:44:37 +0100

Joel,

In the meantime, it might be worthwhile to work out the exact functionality you envision by discussing it on this list. Once you (or someone else who gets interested) is ready to write it, it will then stand a better chance of being accepted -- and being accepted without an extensive rewrite.

In a production environment the first thing I would do is replace
yyreportAmbiguity.  I would want the 'user' to see a more 'meaningful'
message and also I would want to be able to recover (ie, pick one
of the parses) and continue.

I think being able to specify an alternative, in the .y file, function
to call (instead of yyreportAmbiguity) would save people a lot of
hassle.

One question is what extra functionality might be provided to help
the writer of replacement_yyreport_ambiguity more easily make the
'correct' decision about which parse tree to pick.

Today, the name "conflict action" appeals to me. In other words, it's a user action to run upon encountering any conflict. Now, what exactly do you envision the action doing? Specifically, what inputs and outputs do you need? How should a conflict action be declared?

Conflict?  We are a peace loving group of people.  Why not ambiguity
resolution, or ambiguity hint, ambiguity suggestion/recommendation?

--
Derek M. Jones                              tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                      mailto:address@hidden