RE: cache.db updates spontaneously

From: Morris, Katherine L.
Subject: RE: cache.db updates spontaneously
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:48:39 -0500

I posted this a few days ago through Google groups.  Based the fact that
I've been getting posts from you guys through email that don't appear on
groups.google.com, and the subsequent posts on groups.google.com HAVE NOT
come through on email...

I think groups.google.com is severely broken!

I'm posting now directly through email:
*************************************

I'm still running cfengine 1.6.3, and I've got this weird problem with
cache.db where I can successfully run an entire week with the clients
cache.db being different from the trusted server, but then during the
8 o'clock hours run on every Friday, the file gets restored from the
server on ALL systems where I'm currently testing this procedure.

The value in my cf.update configuration for cache.db is as follows
(note, has no specific time associated):

copy:

    $(cfroot)/$(cachedir)/${OSREV}/cache.db dest=$(cfroot)/cache.db
        recurse=0
        timestamp=keep
        backup=false
        secure=true
        mode=600
        server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

The configuration file where I use the cache.db looks like this
(somewhat edited):

control:
        ChecksumDatabase = ( /opt/cfengine/cache.db )
        ChecksumUpdates = ( false )

files:

    sun4u.!sunos_5_5_1.!sunos_sun4u_5_7_Generic_106541_16::
        /usr/bin/ps checksum=md5
        /usr/bin/ls checksum=md5
        /usr/xpg4/bin/ls checksum=md5
        #/usr/bin/who checksum=md5
        #/usr/xpg4/bin/who checksum=md5
        #/usr/bin/netstat checksum=md5
        #/usr/bin/find checksum=md5
        #/usr/bin/login checksum=md5
        #/usr/sbin/tcpd checksum=md5
        /opt/cfengine/cache.db mode=600 owner=root action=fixall

The root of the problem is that the Solaris kernel patches, as well as
some others, touch these files (hence many are currently commented
out).  I was attempting to update each clients local copy of the
cache.db to avoid having to create a different cache.db for every
patch level (which would ultimately be a nightmare/impossible).
However, I'm apparently not going to be able to store local cache.db
files if it's a default behaviour for it to be updated irregardless at
8pm every Friday (can't for the life of me figure out where this is
coming from).

Any thoughts or alternative solution suggestions would be appreciated.