help-cgicc

Re: [help-cgicc] session how to, please explain

From: Vlad D. Markov
Subject: Re: [help-cgicc] session how to, please explain
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:31:11 -0400

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:25:39 -0400
Ben Kuang <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I plan to use the cgicc lib for a project i do in school.  I am doing
> a libary automation system that would allow users to access the system
> online.  Once the user has logged onto the system, how do I make sure
> the system knows it's the same user until the user logs out?
> Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

Unless cgicc has changed since I last used it, the concept of "session" is not
part of the library.

The simplest method to track information from form to form is to use hidden
variables in the form. In a secure application this may not be acceptable
because when the user views the source then this hidden information is not
hidden anymore.

Java Servlets/JSPs and MS ASP have a concept of a session implemented via
cookies. Most commercial applications use this method. That is why all these
sites say you must have cookies enabled to use their site. You could of course
implement your own cookie mechanism.

There are other ways to track users but they are harder to implement in my
opinion. Since its school, usually the hidden field mechanism gets a decent
enough grade.