help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] --no-handle-help|version

From: Papp Gyozo (VBuster)
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] --no-handle-help|version
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:40:02 +0100

Hi,

> > another minor issue I've been faced up now. Even if I add
> '--no-handle-version' the processing of the commandline finishes right after
> it encounters with a '-V' or '--version' option.
> >
> > My application should behave differently, ie. prints the version of other
> loaded libraries if the required options are given. Now the situation is the
> latter one does not print engine and vdb version to the output:
> >
> >   vbscan --vdb= ... --engine=... --version ; both --vdb and --engine
> processed
> >   vbscan --version --vdb= ... --engine=... ; neither --vdb and --engine
> processed

> I don't know whether it's better to change the current [...]
> the programmer has the complete control for them if he wants to...

The "entire bypass" may be the best if someone really needs. But if it needs a
lot to do, then don't do it. I could live with this behaviour. As I mentioned
it is really a minor issue.

> > however in general beside this, gengetopt generated parsers do not deal
> with the exact order of the program arguments.
>
> could you please provide an example?

Look at above! It doesn't usually matter either --vdb or --engine comes first,
the result from the application's view will be the same.

> notice that the parser completely relies on getopt_long implementation about
Yes, you are right indeed.