Re: [Help-glpk] What AMPL features are missing in MathProg?

From: Brady Hunsaker
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] What AMPL features are missing in MathProg?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:01:24 -0400

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 17:33, Yong Xu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just starting to evaluate the features and
> usability of GLPK, and particularly, the MathProg
> modeling language. As I read from the MathProg manual,
> the language is a subset of the AMPL language. I am
> wondering what are the major AMPL feastures missing in
> MathProg. I know that AMPL can  use several solvers,
> e.g. CPLEX, OSL, etc., while MathProg seems to be tied
> to the GNU LP solver. But apart from that-if it's
> true-in terms of modeling power, are there any major
> differences?
>
> Yong

I haven't done a careful comparison of AMPL and MathProg.  However,
MathProg is intended to create instances using models and data, whereas
AMPL is also intended to call solvers, display results, and such.  These
latter capabilities are not present in MathProg, but most of the model
building features are available.

The best way to see what's available is to read or skim the MathProg
manual, which is included with GLPK.

Also, if you want to use another solver, you can use glpsol simply to
convert from MathProg to MPS format, as follows:
glpsol --check --model <input file> --wmps <output.mps>

Then you can use any solver that supports MPS format.  A sacrifice is
that the names in your model may not be preserved perfectly.

Brady

--
Brady Hunsaker
Assistant Professor