Re: faking an append-only field

From: Dirk Bergstrom
Subject: Re: faking an append-only field
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 11:54:00 -0700

On 8/1/2002 11:27 AM, Mike Hoolehan expounded at length upon:
> With the gnats 4 beta, I'm attempting to mimic the audit trail behavior I'm
> used to in bugzilla (basically an append-only field).  Here's my attempt,
> that works mostly:
> field "Add-To-Audit-Trail" {
[snip]
> }
> Then I just made the original Audit-Trail field 'read-only'.

man, that's pretty slick!

> This strategy works correctly except after the PR has just been created
> and the PR is edited the first time.  Even if the user doesn't change the
> "Add-To-Audit-Trail" field on the gnatsweb interface, the on-change
> stuff is being run.  I've experimented with conditional 'on-change' using
> regexes, but nothing seemed to help.

i'm pretty sure that the problem arises because add-to-audit-trail is
not actually in the PR after it's created (ie. it's not an initial-entry
field).  this means that after the first edit, the value in the field
has "changed", because it's gone from the empty string to a single
newline (or something like that).

you might be able to fix this by setting a default value of " " for the
field, or whatever value gnatsweb seems to be sticking in there.  adding
it to the initial-entry list might also solve the problem, but that's an
ugly fix.

hope this helps.

--
Dirk Bergstrom                   address@hidden
Computer Geek                     v: 707.433.0564

"it *looks* like a nail; lemme grab my hammer..."