RE: GNATS help needed

From: Micone, Andrew (Manpower Contract)
Subject: RE: GNATS help needed
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:15:20 -0500

I can't say what you could do to recover, but I can give you some localization
advice. As far as I understand it, and I've had good success with customizing
GNATS, it only supports basic ASCII in its data files and doesn't have any
localization support. That doesn't mean you couldn't localize it, I've
localized worse (i.e. printer firmware). If you were going to localize it, a
generic localization approach would be:

A) Use the field names as keys to a string resource database and map them to
localized string displays in the user-interface. So don't change "Closed-Date"
to something else, leave it as-is and then map it to its german string through
a lookup table and some additional user-interface code.

B) You would need to check over the I/O and indexing routines to make sure they
can support the character set you are using. You could do this in increasingly
levels of complexity by either  kludging your character set into ASCII with
escape codes, programming support for eight-bit character sets (I think most
european languages can be handled in eight bits), or go all out and change it
so that it supports unicode strings opaquely. GNATS expects mail-like messages.
If you look at how file attachments are handled, they are converted into
something that looks like uuencoded ASCII. You would need to do something
similair with foreign character sets, especially if you wanted to do it right
by using Unicode.

Anyway, not having explored the code in too much depth, that's my $0.02 USD.

Andy Micone
Performance Engineer / Process Lead
Performance R&D
(208) 396-4228 address@hidden