Re: Status Update

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: Status Update
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:08:08 -0500

Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>  wrote:
> I plan on creating a virtual host for gnats.wookimus.net, or maybe I
> could actually talk the FSF sysadmin into installing it on fencepost
> for us (if FSF has actually hired the new sysadmin yet).

gnats.wookimus.net is up.  Browse at your convenience.  I still have
some tweaking to do with respect to spam filtering for email, but at
least the DB is up and running (Debian Sarge, 4.1.0-0).

I took a closer look at gen-index.c today and agree with PR#501 [1]_
that there can be some enhancements done to the fopen() calls to
prevent race conditions.  The Gary McGraw and John Viega book[2]_,
"Building Secure Software: Race Conditions" illustrates how we can
tighten things up a bit.

.. [1]
http://gnats.wookimus.net/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gnats&pr=501
.. [2] http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=23947&seqNum=3&rl=1