Re: Colors and Redhat (!crystal ball)

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Colors and Redhat (!crystal ball)
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 14:18:05 +0100

"William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" wrote:

[a long description]

My summary:

  Red Hat (unspecified version)
  emacs-21.2 -nw -q --no-site-file
  [I assume this is under X. We still don't know which terminal
  emulator, or the value of $TERM before Emacs is started]
  M-x list-faces-display shows unreadable colours for many faces
  In particular, bold-face is blue
  On Slackware, everything is black and white

My guess as to why you get bold in blue would be the file

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm

which contains (Red Hat 7.3):

    ! Enable Colour by default.

    *VT100*colorMode: on
    *VT100*boldColors: on
    *VT100*dynamicColors: on
    *VT100*colorBDMode: on
    *VT100*colorBD: blue3

> I have also tried setting my terminal to be xterm-mono, but that did
> not help either. The colors still appear.

Now that is weird. Exactly the same colours as before?
I use Red Hat 7.3, with aterm as the terminal emulator.
Emacs is version 21.2 from the Red Hat RPM. $TERM is "xterm".

I can reproduce something of what you describe, in that if I start
Emacs in the way you specified, I get some coloured faces (eg for
bold). The colours seem fine to me, unless I do mildly sneaky things
like

xterm -fg black -bg white

which is the opposite to the colours I have specified via
~/.Xdefaults. Then the colours are not so good.

But if I set TERM to xterm-mono before starting Emacs, I get no
colour, except for the bold and underline colours I have specified in
~/.Xdefaults.

Do you have a file ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources? Either create one,
or add the following lines at the end of it. Then run `xrdb
~/.Xdefaults', then open a new xterm, and try Emacs in that.

XTerm*VT100*colorMode: false
XTerm*VT100*boldColors: false
XTerm*VT100*dynamicColors: false
XTerm*VT100*colorBDMode: false
XTerm*VT100*colorULMode: false

PS I guess you get this blue bold outside of Emacs as well. For
example, does `man man' give blue highlighting?