help-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?


From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Has anyone actually built emacs 21.3 for SOLARIS (sparc)?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 22:24:22 +0000 (UTC)

In article <address@hidden>,
Dave Uhring <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Wed, 21 May 2003 08:50:21 +0000, David Combs wrote:
>
>>      libXaw3d.so.5 =>         (file not found)
>
>> Why does mine want the 3d thing, and yours doesn't?
>
>Probably because I enabled motif instead of Xaw3d when I ran the configure
>script.  Do you really want the Athena widget set?  Is that library
>actuallly on your system?  Where?  If it's in /opt/sfw/lib then your
>environment should contain
>
>[duhring]$ echo $LDFLAGS
>-L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib -L/opt/sfw/lib -R/opt/sfw/lib
> 
>before running the configure script.
> 
>> Also, you did that echo of the two LD_..._PATHs, and
>> showed nothing for what typed out.
>
>A blank line appeared because I do not have either of those values set in
>my environment.  I do not require them for any of the software which I
>have built on this machine.  Neither are they required for the OS software
>supplied by Sun; they built those binaries with the correct LDFLAGS in the
>compiler user's environment.
> 
>> Here's what I get:
>> 
>> 
>> 84 ==/dkcjunk==> echo $LD_RUN_PATH
>> LD_RUN_PATH: Undefined variable
>> 85 ==/dkcjunk==> echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH: Undefined variable
>> 86 ==/dkcjunk==> 
>> 
>> A prior answer said to define the first one as
>> /usr/openwin/lib.
>> 
>> Is that your opinion too?
>
>http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html 
>
>No, my opinion is that neither of those values should be set.  They are
>unnecessary and evil.  Set LDFLAGS in your environment correctly -before-
>running any GNU configure script.
>
>You probably should also set CC and CFLAGS:
>
>[duhring]$ echo $CC
>/usr/sfw/bin/gcc
>[duhring]$ echo $CFLAGS
>-O2 -pipe -mcpu=ultrasparc
>
>
>> And what about the RUN path -- set it to what?
>
>""
>
>> PS: your opinion on those configure-args suggested in that
>> same post?  Any changes, or use as-is.
>
>This is what I used:
>
>[emacs-21.3]$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/sfw --with-x-toolkit=motif \
>--with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-x
>

I removed nothing from your post, for this reply,
because it's so informative.

It's now 6:15pm EST that I first see your post,
and going through the thread, just asked some
things that you answered here.

For doc for everyone, and maybe that should be included
in the emacs build-doc, if you have a second way to
answer those, just for different angle on same subject
by even same person, maybe answer those repeated
questions?

SURELY, the info in this thread should not just
disappear into deja-seen-long-ago, but should
be stuffed into the emacs building-doc!

---

To summarize one of your points, you say to set
the LDFLAGS *now*, eg in .cshrc, so it's always
there.

And to IGNORE the idea of a RUN path.  (Since one
person evidently believes in it, maybe a few
educational words on why not -- the more you
explain, in some depth, the more that other
people will learn, and have an easier time with
building eg emacs.)


THANKS!!!

I now have lots of things to read-over *in-detail*,
before I go have a try at emacs again.

---

Oh, is there some EASY way, cookbook like, to grab
an emacs from CVS, without having to *learn* the
whole freaking thing?


David



reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]