Re: zone-mode

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: zone-mode
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:39:35 GMT

Lars Bungum <lars@bungum.no> writes:

> I'm trying to use the zone-mode to update the serial number of a DNS
> zone-file from within emacs.
>
> >From what I can read in the docs, the mode should update the serials
> automatically when you save the file.  I can't see that this happenes.
> Then I tried to use M-x zone-mode-update-serial to see if that worked,
> but wasn't able to get any response back.  No error, but nothing
> happenes to the file.
>
> I don't really know what to do to find out of this (my question).  I'm
> not fluent in elisp, but should be able to make something out of
> debugging information.

The regular expression which the mode uses to recognize serial numbers
is not very flexible.  There has to be whitespace, a number,
(optionally) whitespace, a semicolon, (optionally) whitespace, and the
word "serial" (optionally capitalized).  Among other things, this
means the closing parenthesis has to be on a later line.

[See the re-search-forward line in zone-mode.el]

Hope that helps.