Re: server-start preempted by other emacs window

From: John Russell
Subject: Re: server-start preempted by other emacs window
Date: 28 Jan 2004 15:31:06 -0500

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> John Russell wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to have emacs check to see if another server process
> > is running before it runs server-start?
> > My issue is that if I have one emacs window open (my IDE) and then
> > open another one for gnus, the last one opened always destroys any
> > server process in existence.  So all emacsclient calls go to the gnus
> > window, and when that window gets closed, there is no longer any
> > server running at all.
> > I was hoping for a boolean function call or something, but apropos
> > wasn't helpful.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
>
> C-h v server-process

server-process shows #<process server> after the server starts but it
stays that way if another emacs instance takes over the server socket
so its not useful as a test.

> C-h v server-clients

This list is nil if there are no pending client buffers, Also if you run
emacsclient with -n,  which I do because I use it in my filemanager
to edit files all in one window so I want emacsclient to return
immediately.

Thanks anyway.

John