Re: browse-url

From: Christian Lynbech
Subject: Re: browse-url
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:34:53 +0200

Joe> Well, I don't know what's different out our environments, but for me,
Joe> evaluating

Joe> (progn (call-process "firefox" nil 0 nil "http://www.gnu.org";)
Joe>        (call-process "firefox" nil 0 nil "http://www.google.com";))

Joe> gives me one firefox window browsing gnu.org, and one of those idiot
Joe> boxes that I hate telling me to choose a new user (i.e. if no firefox
Joe> window is open; if a window is open, 2 X idiot box).

It appears that Hugh Lawson is running Debian and here /usr/bin/firefox points
to a ~400 line script that presumably examines the current situation and does
the right thing. Possibly, when you call "firefox" you get directly to the
application executable which only works as desired the first time.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)