Re: how can I tell emacs to treat a text file as html?

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: how can I tell emacs to treat a text file as html?
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:16:03 -0500

   > > (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\`/tmp/nb_.*\\.txt\\'" . html-mode))
   >
   > When I wrote the .emacs it didnt work, but upon restarting emacs it
   > now does work,

   Of course, editing a file doesn't change the state of the running
   emacs lisp image.  To do that, you must execute the expressions, which
   you can do for example with eval-region or eval-last-expression (type:
   C-x C-e with the cursor just after the expression to be evaluated).

But, note, what you should really do is byte compile the .emacs, using

  M-x emacs-lisp-byte-compile,

or compile and load all at once,

  M-x emacs-lisp-byte-compile-and-load

PS. What does typing change if not the state of the image?  OT: it
might be fun(ny) to try a fly-eval mode wherein the last sexp _was_
evaluated whenever the cursor was outside of all parens & not in a
comment.