Re: lazy-lock vs. jit-lock

From: shreevatsa
Subject: Re: lazy-lock vs. jit-lock
Date: 29 Dec 2005 07:16:25 -0800

Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Can anyone comment on the relative advantages of these kinds of
> font-locking?  jit-lock seems to be the default in Emacs 21.4, but I
> fount that in some buffers (not necessarily large ones) whole chunks are
> left unfontified.  Waiting for them to be "stealthily" fontified also
> doesn't help; only font-lock-fontify-buffer does.
>
> Customizing font-lock-support-mode and setting it to lazy-lock-mode
> eliminates the problem.  So I'd just like to know what I'm missing
> this way.
>
> --
You can get rid of the delay by setting jit-lock-stealth-time to 0,
which is what I do.
Looking around on the net seems to suggest that it is lazy-lock that is
obsolete, not jit-lock.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2004-11/msg00313.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2004-01/msg00626.html