Re: Ctrl-h vs Backspace on Windows

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Ctrl-h vs Backspace on Windows
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:41:03 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Bill Brodie <wbrodie@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:19:24 +0000 (UTC)

In version 21.3 of emacs running under Windows XP, a fresh install
treats Ctrl-h as equivalent to Backspace.  For example, when I
strike M-x help RET k <key>, where <key> is either Ctrl-h or
Backspace, I obtain documentation for the DEL key.  Other Windows
applications can distinguish between these keys.  Is there some
way to configure emacs to recognize the difference?

Emacs should distinguish them by default; it does for me.

Does this happen in "emacs -Q" as well?  If not, your init file(s) are
the culprit.

If "emacs -Q" exhibits the same behavior, type "F1 l" (that's the
letter ell, not the digit one) after hitting Ctrl-h, and tell what you
see in the *Help* buffer that Emacs pops.

For Emacs 21, run "emacs -q --no-site-file" instead of "emacs -Q".

--
Kevin Rodgers